Monday, January 23, 2012

Today: Something Old

The thing about a good song is that you can listen to it over and over again. Great songs last years and years. A really great song takes you back to the place you were when you first connected with it. An incredible song is a visceral memory. Here I will be posting some of my favorite songs, classics and unknowns alike.

First up is a song off one of my all time favorite records:


Elvis Costello is a genius and "My Aim Is True" is a record that I can listen to from beginning to end on repeat. Of course "Alison" and "(The Angels Want To Wear) My Red Shoes" are well-known singles off the record. However, I think my favorite song is "Less Than Zero" because of his quirky lyrics. Specifically, "Well I hear that South America is coming into style." When I was in high school studying Latin American history and politics I would listen to this record and think about the discrepancies between the image South America had in the 1960s and 70s and the reality. It was in style to vacation or escape there, oblivious to the conditions most of the region was living under.

No comments:

Post a Comment